Monday, November 29, 2010

Back from Norway!

Now I'm already back in Vienna for a bit more than a week after a couple of wonderful days in Norway. It was so much better than I could have ever expected. I was in Oslo and in Fredrikstad. 

Oslo is a great city to spend some time in. I saw all the sights I wanted to see like the opera house, the city hall, the harbor, Aker Brygge, the royal castle and Karl Johans Gate. I liked Aker Brygge in particular with its wooden panels as flooring. I was walking (and jumping) up and down on them just because I liked the sound so much the wooden panels made. I guess, people thought I was weird. And they had so many nice little restaurants - people would sit outside even if it's freaking cold. The place there is rustic and romantic at the same time. Water was around me all the time and I met so many cute seagulls - gave them all names: Kjell, Thor, Trygvald, Kåre, Anders, Kjetil, Magnus, Bård, .... after a while I run out of names so I called them Kjell II, Thor II, Trygvald II, Bjørn, Blomst, Fugl, Ikkemat. 

BTW: Do your animals in Norway speak Norwegian?! I'm not sure cause I met many seagulls, police-horses and ducks and I was like: "Hei du!! Hva heter du? Jeg heter Marion. Du er søt. Vil du ikke komme med meg?" - AND NO REACTION AT ALL!!


Aker Brygge

One of the best evenings in 2010 I had when I went to the Thelma & Clyde album release gig on 13th of November at Blå. The show was mindblowing. The music, the costumes, the video visuals in the background, the way they moved to the music. And I think I'm in love with those disco ball tiles they glued on their hoodies.
I also bought their album White Line there (of course I did!!) - and I love it, listening to it non stop now for a couple of days. 
But the whole night was great because I met so many nice and interesting people - which was really inspiring!! Jan (and his wife) from Karmakosmetix Records, Hanne and Trygve of Thelma & Clyde, Gunnar who plays drums in several bands I like, the famous Ronny who is a restless multitalent, Morten the very cool bass player and owner of his own record studio in Kristiansand. All of them great people! And both, Trygve and Gunnar gave me a beer each. :D

But seriously, I gotta practice on my pick-up phrases next time I come to Norway. ;)

sculpture by G. Vigeland

I loved the Frognerpark/Vigelandpark with all the sculptures. I must have spent almost three hours there studying every sculpture. It was very quiet there. Not many people. I should probably mention that the weather was not too good. Cloudy and cold and temperatures around zero degrees (we had around +18° when I left Vienna). But the fact that not many people where there made me enjoy that place a lot. I was very relaxed. And in the end I got some sunshine. Fantastic day!

very peaceful day in Frognerpark


another sculpture by Vigeland

There is much to see in Oslo. Many cute hidden places to discover. And shopping?! Shopping might be expensive but who wouldn't pay almost any price for something you desired for such a long time?! Means of course I went shopping to Platekompaniet!! Heaven on earth for me. I saw so many records of all the artists/bands I love. I bought myself then four CD's: Bird Cherry Grove by Anne Lene Hägglund, Earthly Things by Eliksir, Floriography by Moddi and You Are The Night by Grande!! 

Speaking of shopping. I probably found the most awesome product I had ever seen: LICORICE FLAVOURED CHEWING GUM!! I had sparkles in my eyes when I foud it. "I AM MOVING TO NORWAY FOR GOOD" - I said over and over again. Austria is more or less a licorice-free country - so hard to get good stuff here. And for someone addicted to licorice like me this is one of the greatest inventions ever.

old town of Fredrikstad

Fredrikstad is a nice, little and quiet place. I visited a friend of mine there who lives just next to the water. And let me tell you, seeing the sun glittering on the water is not the worst thing to wake up with. And I had fish for breakfast. It was some kind of marinated fish - tasted sweet and salty. Funny combination but veeeeery delicious (another reason for moving, if you ask me).

The old town of Fredrikstad is kinda cute. You find all those red wooden houses there you usually see on postcards. 

Norway was so nice to me. I've never been that relaxed and never felt so much like home. I do miss Norway already. And all my friends there. The friendliness of the people, the licorice flavoured chewing gum, my new seagull-friends, Oslo, Fredrikstad - I miss all that and I want to come back as soon as possible.

sunset in Fredrikstad

No comments:

Post a Comment