Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Vi snakker bare norsk! Del 3.5

...og da snakker vi enda mer norsk! And it's interesting how much one can learn in just some time and how four months can appear so much longer. And suddenly is course no. 3 over (well soon - after the written and oral exams on Wednesday and next Monday) and soon I'm going to write about course no. 4!

When I think back on the topics we went through since October it actually seems to be a lot we learned. It wasn't much of new grammar we learned, actually. Sure, some new vocabulary, but that came quite automatically when learning about a new topic. But most of all it was probably a progress in the way we express ourselves in this language - the way we talk, the way we write.

Selv-evaluation?! Hard to tell. Of course I notice that the texts I write now sound, let's say, smarter than those I wrote in previous courses (doesn't mean though, that I'm not making any mistakes). But I definitely feel more comfortable writing in Norwegian! Understanding spoken Norwegian got easier. Speaking myself?!? Mhm... it's something I should do more often, I guess!

The third course now was definitely more challenging in its tasks and demands but on the other hand it was filled with interesting literature and discussions. Have you ever read "Den misunnelige frisøren" by Lars Saabye Christensen? I loved it. It's just a short novel but very nice to read. Christensen has a fantastic style of writing!! (That's a recommendation!!) Or you could read Norwegian fairytales - it's a beautiful kind of language: "Til værs, til værs, over mønsås og kirkespir, over land, over vann, over berg, over dal, til min kjæreste som venter meg i fjellet i natt." (--> taken from one of my favourite Norwegian fairytales "Følgesvennen") And what about "Lukten av propan om morgenen" by Levi Henriksen!? Very visualizing!! Or stories by Jon Fosse if you're into Nynorsk.

Oh, the "new Norwegian" - that actually goes hand in hand with dialects and slang. This is something I love to learn about. Kinda important, too. Most of the time I understand my Norwegian friends (thinking of the stuff they're writing) but have you ever met a person writing in a Trøndersk-dialect? Or just in Nynorsk? And it's a comfortable feeling to know a couple of "slang" expressions. Although I understand that certain expressions just can't be taught in a course. Hehehe... thank God for having helpful friends! :)

But no matter how interesting or challenging a topic is, it often depends on the teacher. The teacher I have (now since October) seems very dedicated to his job and is doing a lot to make the lessons as interesting as possible - that's the impression I got. Fortunately (or unfortunately?!) that makes it difficult to grouse when we get lots of homework. Well, I would get a bad conscience knowing that he'd invest lots of time in all his preparations and corrections. All in all, I think there should be more teachers like him.

In addition to all that: Over the past months I came to realize more and more that the Norwegian language is making me happy. Just the language. I start to grin as soon as I hear Norwegians talking to each other. I could jump of happiness when I meet Norwegians (doesn't happen too often, though). It's fun to write in Norwegian with friends. And going to the course is usually the highlight of the week. Isn't that a bit funny?! :)



That's how studying for norsk looks like.



No comments:

Post a Comment