Monday, September 12, 2011

The one with the recording studio!

"I'm actually a fan of the Lodge on Facebook!!" - I said while Morten looked at me quite puzzled for some moments.

I am still asking myself if that was the most clever sentence I could come up with when I met Morten Martens after the Thelma & Clyde album release in Oslo, Norway in November 2010. But of course no matter how many stupid things I've said that evening I was glad I could shake his hand and say hello.

First time I read his name must have been in connection with Themla & Clyde in February 2010. And back then I had a HUGE impact when it comes to Norwegian music. I was a bit surprised to read his name among the line-up or producers of so many bands. I started to wonder about who he is. Does he really play bass and keys in so many bands? Is he the only bass player they have in Norway? And does he really own a recording studio although he seems to be so young? How can he be so good when it comes to recording and producing?




I always liked to meet, read or write about interesting people and to hear about their stories and habits - that inspires me. I usually can't tell what exactly makes them so fascinating but I always thought that Morten Martens is one of those interesting and inspiring people others should write about or make TV-reports or write blogs about.

And now just a couple of weeks ago I read this article about him in Absolutt KRS: Mystiske Morten Martens ("Mystical Morten Martens"). "Jaaaaaaaaaaa, endelig!! Flott!!!!" - I thought when reading through it. 

Long article, yes, but worth to read. And we get to know a more private side of the, in 1982 born, musician/producer. He learned to play guitar at a young age. And being the second guitar player in a rockband he switched to bass - due to the higher archieving guitar player in the band (isn't it always like that?). 

The Lodge is his very own recording studio where he is producing, mixing, playing and sleeping when there is lots to do. And over the years he was able to work with many different artists and bands such as: Love:Fi (one of my absolute favourites), Salvador Sanchez (I loved his latest album Happy Daze, btw), Kjetil Grande (some of the finest music), Hanne Kolstø (solo but also with Thelma & Clyde), Tenderleaves, Davy Jones' Locker.... etc. He was even awarded a Spellemannpris - Norwegian Grammy - for his collaboration with Sanchez. Furthermore he believes in "arguing at frist sight" and will become a professional Angry Birds player if is career as musician stops. James Blake's selftitled album inspired him to work on his solo project but he fears to put it out because it might reflect a part of his soul and who he is.

In the end the Absolutt KRS article didn't make him appear less mystical but maybe more understandable. So I really recommend to read it.


Morten is cool.


And if you want to see some of Morten's abilities as musician live on stage you should check these videos with Kjetil Grande, Salvador Sanchez and Thelma & Clyde


Links: The Lodge on the web, Facebook and MySpace. And Morten Martens on MySpace.


No comments:

Post a Comment