Thursday, September 15, 2011

...men hvorfor norsk?




It's now almost a year ago since I started to learn Norwegian. I enjoy it!! I can read and understand normal texts, messages, articles and translate them for myself. When possible I try to write to my Norwegian friends in Norwegian. And I come to understand more and more when I listen/watch Norwegian radio and TV - that's actually the most difficult part for me - understanding spoken Norwegian. The same goes for speaking the language myself. Sometimes Norwegian dialects and Nynorsk (since I only learn Bokmål) are giving me riddles, but I'm confident in learning them. And luckily I can see a positive progess in my skills.

And it's funny because everytime I tell that I'm learning Norwegian I get to hear the same question over and over again: But why Norwegian?! Why not Swedish or Danish instead? And in fact around three years ago I had a bigger connection to Sweden and Denmark - mainly because of my friends and music. That was back then but time passed. I got to know more Norwegian bands. Gained friends in Norway and grew on the thought of visiting that country once. 


I listened to interviews in Norwegian and thought this language is sounding funny in a way, kind of cute. It reminded me of a mixture of English and German with Austrian dialects - and I was not that wrong about that: There are a couple of words being pronounced exactly the same way in some Austrian dialects. I found that aspect interesting. The similarity to German is in general quite interesting. Furthermore I found out that my favourite fairytale when I was a kid, is in fact Norwegian. And just the thought of interacting with Norwegians made me happy - always had good experiences.



Picture from my Norwegian textbook "Et år i Norge"

That's how it started and now after a year I know why I'm still so eager on learning the language. I've been in Norway last November. Met many people, saw some of the culture of the customs, ate Norwegian food and spoke some Norwegian as well as understanding it - all that together was the best thing I ever did. It's a wonderful country which I'm deeply missing, every day!


I like Norwegian dialects. Well, sometimes I don't notice them and sometimes I have to distinguish them from Nynorsk or just a common youth language or special expressions. I often ask friends to explain me certain things - especially when it comes to idiomatic skills. It doesn't give me headaches - I love to learn about them.  


Recently I started reading a book with Norwegian fairytales (the book is in German though). I read them afterwards in Norwegian on the web but I'm just so stunned how many of these fairytales I had known in their German version and others are completely new to me with trolls and huldras. And they sound so beautiful in Norwegian that I can't keep myself from reading them loud for myself. :)


The fact that I've never ever been more fascinated by a language, country and culture tells me that I made the right decision. HURRA!! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment