Friday, October 22, 2010

Tíminn og vatnið


The Time and the Water
by Steinn Steinarr


Time is like the water,
and the water is cold and deep
like my own consciousness.

And time is like a picture,
which is painted of water,
half of it by me.

And time and the water
flow trackless to extinction
into my own consciousness.



I stumbled over this poem while I was looking through the pages of a book about the history of Scandinavia's literature. It's the first part of Steinn Steinarr's "Tíminn og vatnið" (=The Time and the Water). He was an outstanding and great Icelandic poet. I like these words a lot and Icelandic is a beautiful though difficult language. Iceland might not be one of the biggest or richest countries but they brought us many great artists also beside of Steinn Steinarr, right? :)





No comments:

Post a Comment